Sponsor: Cadogan Estate, U.K.
Type: RfQ, open, 2-stage
Location: Duke of York Square, London
Duke of York Square, a phased £120 million redevelopment scheme was carried out between 2001 and 2006. It is a skilful blend of retail, residential, cultural and commercial uses with a successful integration of old and new buildings.
Eligibility: The Cadogan Estate is not seeking the already well-established architect, rather it is keen to identify and support emerging talent and in doing so act as a client patron in the classic sense. It is looking for a team with a fascination for innovative construction techniques and logistics, an interest in the art of place-making and an eye to keeping disruption to a minimum.
A creative exploration of the project is strongly encouraged and teams should outline ideas on an additional programme of use(s) and user(s) that will give the café a unique identity that raises it above that of an everyday coffee shop.
Five to seven teams will be selected for the second stage
An honorarium of £5,000 will be awarded to each of the unsuccessful shortlisted teams following the selection of the winner.
Budget: The total project costs are estimated to be £2,000,000 (including construction, fit-out, fees, VAT and associated costs).
20 August 2012 – EOI submission deadline
12 November 2012 – Final submission deadline by shortlisted teams
To be determined
• A new café to provide for circa 100 covers (60 outside + 40 inside).
• Strong indoor/outdoor connection to add life year-round.
• A dynamic covering for outside users.
• A basement area to house prep area, storage, toilets, staff wash/change area, rubbish, stair and hoist in order to maximise ground level seating/activity and transparency.
• Visible location and great place to watch the world go by.
To receive documents and register, go to: