Sponsors: Town of Hornachuelos, Spain; reTHINKING competitions
Type: Open, International, two-stage
Languages: English and Spanish
Early registration: 40€ + IVA
Regular registration: 70€ + IVA
Late registration: 90€ + IVA
20 September 2016 – Early Registration ends
18 October 2016 – Regular registration ends
02 November 2016 – Late registration ends and submission deadline
• (bau)m Architects (Marta Barrera + Javier Caro + Miguel Gentil)
• Francisco Jesús Reina Fernández-Trujillo (Ph. Architect of Projects in the School of Architecture of Seville)
• Rafael Muñoz García (Head of technical Servicies and Urbanism of Hornachuelos City Hall)
• Esther López Martín (AF6 arquitectos)
First prize 3.000 €
Second prize 1.000 €
Third prize 500 €
The winner of the competition will be commissioned to realize aspects of the design by the Town of Hornacheulos.
The competition seeks to revive the Hornachuelos city center, enhancing its heritage and cultural values. For this purpose, different ways of intervention may be used to emphasize the following aspects:
– Reactivation of historical buildings, with alternative uses and rehabilitation. Especially the most deteriorated: the Castle and the inn.
– Projecting routes that generate cultural spaces, rest and connection with the natural environment. Resting places, shade, interaction, its vegetation, its smells and its climate must be thought … giving value to the atmosphere of Hornachuelos.
– Perception of the historic center as a unitary space, not as segregated elements with buildings and environments worthless together, but as a city with a distinct cultural identity.
The research which contestants can develop in reference to issues such as customs, history or culture will help the participant to have a greater awareness of the keys to improvement.
For more information: